Monday, January 20, 2014

Okay

So I lied.

I'm sorry.

I really had intended to read a lot over break and write reviews on whatever I managed to finish. Honestly, I did. But, unfortunately, that didn't happen. I couldn't find the motivation to spend that much time reading. I don't know why. I miss being as attracted to books as I used to be. I still love the shit out of them, don't get me wrong. It's just that they don't have the absolute draw like they used to.

It helps that I have friends and a stable relationship now. Captain (as I shall refer to him) takes up a lot of my time--which is natural, of course, especially considering that we live together. He's good for me, as am I for him, and the reasons are diverse. Being a double major at University also has benefits, because it places me in proximity with persons of common interests and therein friendships are born. Which is nice! But friends also take time and effort. As do classes and the work involved.

I'm in my sixth semester of college (fourth at UND), which makes me a solid Junior. I'm enrolled in 21 credits this spring, which seems like a lot but thus far doesn't feel like it. I'm sure it will before too long, though. This is what I've got:
CSD 340: Normal Language Structure
CSD 333: Articulation and Phonological Development and Disorders
GERM 102: Beginning German II
ENGL 415: Survey of the English Novel II
MATH 105: Trigonometry
A&S 499: Global Investigations: London
ANTH 370: Language and Culture

Seriously CSD 333 has the longest class title I have ever seen. If you've seen better--or just as good!--feel free to leave a comment and share! It amuses and interests me. haha. Don't judge me. #sorrynotsorry

The Global Investigations class is really interesting and cool because we're actually going to London over spring break in March. The point is for each of us to conduct a research project of sorts which relates something of interest to London. My project is regarding the cultural impact of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and its various adaptations. Considering that Sherlock Holmes is set in the heart of London, I would say it's pretty connected, wouldn't you?
I'm sending a letter to Benedict Cumberbatch in hopes of an interview as well. I very highly doubt that I'm going to get one. If I even get a reply, I'll probably faint. If it says yes, I'll faint again. hahaha. It's not like he'll reply directly, of course, but that isn't the point. I suppose it would be smart of me to actually read some of Sir Conan Doyle's material, eh? Maybe. We'll see.

My novels course is off to a marvelous start. We're reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, and thus far I'm enjoying it. I'm only 71 pages into it, of course, but that's arbitrary. I enjoy his prose. That will be a book on which I will probably blog updates as we go, but considering that I have class three times a week, it may be only a weekly update. haha. We'll see what I manage to pull off--or remember, for all that.

We've already had a snow day this semester, which is ridiculous because today (Monday) marks the start of the 2nd week of classes, and there's no school today. MLKJ day, naturally. I haven't even been to CSD 340 yet. He cancelled class on Wednesday; I didn't skip. Had to clarify, because I have a bad habit of skipping.

Anyway, that's a general update on the life of Emily. I'll work on posting about Woman in White here and there. I'll also work on reading some other material for your perusal. Reviewing literature is so time consuming. haha.

--Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!